Welcome to my blog!

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog! I am excited to share my new journey at Penn GSE with you! Please feel free to leave a comment. I look forward to connecting with you!

Here's a bit more info. of myself in addition to the profile:

I was born in Xi'an, and grew up in Guangzhou, China. I completed my undergraduate program at the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, with a major in Communication and a minor in Spanish.

Prior to coming to Penn, I was working as an International Student Advisor and Marketing Representative at Wisconsin ESL Institute where I found my passion for international education. I am most interested in two specializations of the Higher Ed. field: International Admissions and International Student Services.


Thursday, February 21, 2013

Comps is ALMOST here!

It's almost time for Our Master's Comprehensive Exam! By the time I wake up, get all refreshed, and check my emails tomorrow, our exam questions should already be there waiting for me! I am more excited than nervous at this point, and hopefully will stay this way through the end of the exam. I have definitely learned a lot about access, retention, finance, student engagement, diversity, governance, ethics and leadership... within Higher Education, so I am sort of curious to find out how I can effectively and concisely articulate the major points and takeaways in the essay this weekend.

I will definitely be spending LOTS of time on this essay, but life still goes on. :) I am meeting my mentor, a Higher Ed. alumna tomorrow morning, going to work afterwards, attending our weekly GA meeting in the afternoon, and of course, drafting an outline and gathering resources for the essay in between those events. 

Saturday is the time when I will be devoting most of my time and energy into writing this essay, though it is also when my husband returns from a week-long business trip to California. He has been showing me awesome support during my program so far, and has said that he will be here to take care of me especially during this weekend, for which I am very grateful. 

On another note for those of you who have been accepted, congratulations once again! Please check out our website for a full list of preview events that our office has specifically planned for you. Some are on-campus, some are off-campus, and others are online. I attended several of them when I was accepted, and found them to be extremely helpful. Meanwhile, if there are specific things you would like to know, please feel free to leave a comment here or email me at xixim@gse.upenn.edu 

Here are some upcoming events for accepted students:

On-Campus Events

Friday, March 8, 2013       Preview Day for Teacher Education Students

Sunday-Tuesday, March 24-26, 2013      Preview Day for Higher Education Students

Off-Campus Events

Boston, MA: Satuday, March 2, 2013
Meet Professor Laura Perna, the Director of Admissions, and local alumni

New York, NY: Saturday, March 9, 2013 
Meet Associate Professor Marybeth Gasman, Admissions and Alumni Relations staff members, and local alumni

Online Events

Wednesday, March 13, 2013      Web Chat with current students & alumni for international students
9 am - 10 am (EST)

No comments:

Post a Comment