Welcome to my blog!

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog! I am excited to share my new journey at Penn GSE with you! Please feel free to leave a comment. I look forward to connecting with you!

Here's a bit more info. of myself in addition to the profile:

I was born in Xi'an, and grew up in Guangzhou, China. I completed my undergraduate program at the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, with a major in Communication and a minor in Spanish.

Prior to coming to Penn, I was working as an International Student Advisor and Marketing Representative at Wisconsin ESL Institute where I found my passion for international education. I am most interested in two specializations of the Higher Ed. field: International Admissions and International Student Services.


Saturday, October 6, 2012

Philly - A Global City!

One piece of important advice I received from my director Alyssa is to do something fun for myself every day. Having ignored the importance of having some fun on a daily basis, it was difficult for me to keep my sanity during the first two weeks of my wonderful yet intense graduate school. However, I've been doing very well staying sane after learning to balance study, work, and relaxation.

A Different Look at the World!
Map from the Reception at Penn Museum

Yesterday, one of my cohort members Eun Mi and I attended the 43rd International Students and Scholars Reception at the Penn Museum.

Five minutes into the reception, the world map was full of pins indicating the places people came from. (See photo on the right.) Altogether hundreds of internationals gathered at the museum to enjoy music, dances, and food.

According to the Penn Museum Press, every year, the annual welcome reception, considered a national model amongst international educators, hosts hundreds of international guests from over 100 countries to connect international guests with the local community and its leaders, and to introduce attendees to the multicultural community of Philadelphia.

Cultural Performance
(Photo retrieved from Penn Museum Website)
Eun Mi and I watched Chinese folk dances,
African percussion performances and various types of latin dances. We also enjoyed the free food and delicious pineapple drink at the event.

I am very thankful that I could enjoy a taste of the world on weekdays right at GSE and Penn, and on weekends in this city.





Eun Mi and I




Free Food & Drink
Penn Museum
(Photo retrieved from plannphilly.com)










No comments:

Post a Comment